On Mondays it’s Meatless
The Mille Fleurs Restaurant led the way in Jamaica and introduced their tasty Meatless Mondays in 2010 as a way of reducing carbon emissions and highlighting their local farm producers.
On Mondays at the Mille Fleurs Restaurant we offer a tasty, completely vegetarian menu in keeping with the international Meatless Monday campaign which we were the first to introduce to Jamaica.
When dealing with issues as big as global warming, or personal health issues, it’s easy to feel helpless. But the small changes we make every day can have a tremendous impact. That’s why this Meatless Monday resolution is important. Together we can better our health, the animals and the environment, one plate at a time. Going meatless one day a week can reduce the risk of chronic preventable conditions as well as reducing methane emissions that contribute to global warming.
Celebrity supporters of Meatless Mondays range from famed chef Mario Battali who offers Meatless Monday menus at all 14 of his restaurants to other notable supporters including Sir Paul McCartney, Al Gore, Oprah Winfrey, James Cameron, Russell Simmons, and Simon Cowell.
And if you think all you’ll get is pasta and some steamed vegetables, think again. Here are some of our Meatless Monday Favourites:
- Coconut and Garlic Soup
- Sweet Potato and Wild Hook Soup
- Coconut and Black Eye Pea Soup
- Tofu Soup with Mushrooms and Ginger
- Pumpkin Coconut Soup
- Spinach, Avocado and Papaya Salad with Orange-Cumin Dressing
- Spicy Corn Fritters with Tropical Fruit Chutney
- Saute Curried Ackee on Toast
- Plantain Rolls filled with Callaloo and spicy Tamarind Dip
- Ricotta filled Zucchini Rolls
- Ital Rundown ( a traditional Jamaican dish where vegetables are simmered in a thick, spicy Coconut Sauce)
- Jerk spiced Tofu with Papaya Salsa
- Creole Ratatouille in Herb Pancake with Feta Cheese
- Vegetable and Cashew Biryani
- Sweet Pea, Tofu and Potato Curry served with curried Lentils, Raita and Roti
- Rum Parfait
- Coconut Ice-cream with Fruit Salad
- Crepes in Orange Sauce with Homemade Ice-cream
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake with Warm Vanilla Sauce
- Chocolate Truffle
Watch Jonathan Phang of the Food Network @Mocking Bird Hill